Biržai St. John the Baptist Church
The church was consecrated in 1879. The sponsor was Count Jonas Tiškevičius. Architect: Laurynas Cezaris Anikinis (Lorenzo Cezare Anichini).
A hall church with Neo-Classicism and Baroque elements was built in 19th century. It is a Hall church in rectangular design (45 × 25 m) with two towers of 43 m in height. The inside of the chuch has a Groin vault ceiling and three naves separated by pillars. The central nave of the church is 15 m wide, the side ones are 4.3 m wide. There are two sacristies with emporas. Windows are rectangular with a semicircular arch. The inside and the outside are decorated with numerous pilasters and double cornices.
There are three altars with impressive paintings, included in the Lithuanian Register of Cultural Value. The classical-style brick altars feature St. John the Baptist (painted in 1861 by the painter Vladislovas Majerovskis, canvas, oil), St. Peter (painted in 1861 by the painter Vladislovas Majerovskis, canvas, oil), the Archangel Michael (painted in 1861 by the painter Vladislovas Majerovskis, canvas, oil), St. George (painted by painter Vaitiekus Gerson, canvas, oil). Sculptures and plasterwork were made by the sculptor Pranciškus Andriolis.
In 1901, an organ has been installed (by Rodavičius). The church has been repaired and embellished with the help of the parish priest, Juozas Rimkevičius.
Coordinates: 56.204189, 24.756846
Photo credit: L. Šepetys