Papilys the Innocent Virgin Mary Church
The Innocent Virgin Mary Church is located in Papilys town, in the eastern area of Biržai District. It is situated on the right bank of the River Rovėja (a right tributary to the River Apaščia). The church was built in 1936, the stone masonry church is neo-Romanesque in style with elements of Modernism. The church has a single tower, is rectangular plan with a narrower apse and low sacristies. Inside, the are 3 naves separated by pillars and 3 altars. Ceiling is reinforced concrete.
According to the project of the architect Felix Vizbar, the stone masonry church was built with breaks from 1927 till 1936. It was consecrated in the 20th of September 1936, by the Bishop Kazimieras Paltarokas. Later, the priest J. Bardišauskas built a new rectory building, a shelter, a masonry parish house with a hall and a stage. In 1937, the new cast iron church bells arrived from Germany.
SPECIAL FEASTS OF PAPILYS THE INNOCENT VIRGIN MARY CHURCH
St. Apostle Peter and Paul - June 29th (celebrated on a closer Sunday)
The Innocent Virgin Mary Immaculate Conception - December 8th (celebrated on a closer Sunday)
Coordinates: 56.116726, 25.006143