CHURCHES

In the city of  Biržai: 

St. John’s the Baptist Church (Parish of Biržai)
A hall church with Neo-Classicism and Baroque elements was built in 19th century. There are three altars with impressive paintings. Consecrated in 1879. Sponsor: Count Jonas Tiškevičius. Architect: Laurynas Cezaris Anikinis (Lorenzo Cezare Anichini). In 1901, an organ has been installed (by Rodavičius). The church has been repaired and embellished with the help of the parish priest, Juozas Rimkevičius.

Worship services:
Sunday: 8:00, 9:30, 11:00, 18:00

Saturday: 8:00, 11:00, 18:00
Working-day: 7:00, 18:00
Friday (the first Friday of a month): 11:00 (Adoration: 10:00)

             Rotušės g. 2, Biržai 

                                                                            Tel: (450) 3 26 43 
                                                                            E-mail: birzuparapija@hotmail.com
                                                                            Website: www.birzuparapija.lt

Evangelical Reformed Church
Funded by the congregation, a new masonry neo-Gothic Evangelical Reformed Church of Biržai was built in 1874. It became the centre of the reformation in the North Lithuania. All elements of its unique and magnificent neo-Gothic interior are made of wood: tables, benches, a large stand for the organ, a pulpit etc.

Worship services:
Each Sunday: 11:00

Reformatų g. 3, Biržai
Mobile: +370 686 66383
Tel: (8-450) 35 100
E-mail: birzai@ref.lt
http://www.ref.lt/index.php/lt/congregation/birai

In the district of Biržai:

Holy Trinity Church (Parish of Pabiržė)
The Holy Trinity Church is located in the district of Biržai, Pabiržė town, Bažnyčios a. 1, 7 kilometres south-west of Biržai, at the Pasvalys-Biržai road. Built in 1910, the masonry church is in the Neo-gothic style.

Bažnyčios a. 1, Pabiržė, district of Biržai
Tel: (450) 5 93 99
http://panevezys.lcn.lt/dekanatai/birzu/pabirze/

 

 

 

 

 

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church in Vabalninkas
The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church is located in Vabalninkas, in the southern area of the district of Biržai, S. Nėries g. 2. Built in 1817, the masonry church with Neo-Classicism and Neo-Baroque elements.

S. Nėries g. 4, Vabalninkas, district of Biržai
Tel: (450) 5 46 64
http://panevezys.lcn.lt/dekanatai/birzu/vabalninkas/

 

 

 

Holy Virgin Mary Church (Parish of Papilys)
The Holy Virgin Mary Church is located in Papilys, in the eastern area of the district of Biržai. It is situated on the right bank of the River Rovėja (a right tributary to the River Apaščia). Built in 1936, the stone masonry church is neo-Romanesque in style with elements of Modernism.

Papilys, district of Biržai
Tel: (450) 5 81 31
http://panevezys.lcn.lt/dekanatai/birzu/papilys/

 

 

Evangelical Reformed Church (Parish of Papilys)

The Evangelical Reformed Church of Papilys is one of the oldest Evangelical reformist parish in Lithuania mentioned in sources from 1593. One of the most important patrimonies of the Dukes of Biržai-Dubingiai, Radvila family, Papilys is the birthplace of the Duke Jonušas Radvila.
The current church was built in 1785. Partially destroyed during the Second World War, the church was rebuilt thanks to efforts of the priest Mykolas Frankas in 1947.

Papilys, district of Biržai
Mobile: +370 686 66383
Tel: (8-450) 35 100
E-mail: birzai@ref.lt

 http://www.ref.lt/index.php/lt/congregation/papilys


Holy Angels Custodians Church (Parish of Geidžiūnai)
The Holy Angels Custodians Church is located in the village of Geidžiūnai, 10 kilometres south of Biržai, on the right bank of the River Agluona. This wooden folk-style church was built in 1917.

http://panevezys.lcn.lt/dekanatai/birzu/geidziunai/

 

 

 

 

Exaltation of the Holy Cross Church (Parish of Germaniškis)
Built in 2007, the church is located in Germaniškis, on the left bank of the River Nemunėlis, at the road to Juostavičiai.

 

 

 

 

 

St. Michael the ArchangelChurch (Parish of Kupreliškis)
The St. Michael the Archangel Church is located in the town of Kupreliškis, district of Biržai, 9 kilometres south of Papilys. Built in 1898, the wooden church features folk architecture.

http://panevezys.lcn.lt/dekanatai/birzu/kupreliskis/

 

 

 

 

 

St. John the Baptist Church (Parish of Kvetkai)
The St. John the Baptist Church is located in the village Kvetkai, district Biržai, 3 kilometres from the Lithuanian-Latvian border, 9 kilometres northeast of Papilys, on the left bank of the River Nemunėlis. Built in 1975, the wooden church features folk architecture with some Baroque elements.

http://panevezys.lcn.lt/dekanatai/birzu/kvetkai/ 

 

 

 


Evangelical Reformed Church (Parish of Nemunėlio Radviliškis)
The first Evangelical Reformed Church in Nemunėlio Radviliškis was built in 1590 and funded by the Duke Kristupas Radvila Perkūnas (The Thunderbolt). In 1789, the building burned. The current red-brick Neo-Romanesque church has been built in 1887–1890. 

Nemunėlio Radviliškis, district of Biržai
http://www.ref.lt/index.php/lt/congregation/nemunlio-radvilikis

 

 

 


Holy Virgin Mary Church (Parish of Nemunėlio Radviliškis)
The Holy virgin Mary Church is located in the town of Nemunėlio Radviliškis, district Biržai, near the Lithuanian-Latvian border, at the confluence of the rivers Apaščia and Nemunėlis. This stone masonry church in a historicist style with Neo-Classical elements was built in 1854. 

Nemunėlio Radviliškis, district of Biržai
http://panevezys.lcn.lt/dekanatai/birzu/Nemunėlio-radviliskis/

 

 

 

Church of Crucified Jesus (Parish of Smilgiai)
The Church of Crucified Jesus is located in the village of Smilgiai, district of Biržai, 8 kilometres north-west of Likėnai. This masonry church with Neo-Classical elements was built in 1942.

http://panevezys.lcn.lt/dekanatai/birzu/smilgiai/ 

 

 

 

 

Exaltation of the Holy Cross Church (Parish of Suostas)
The Exaltation of the Holy Cross Church is located in the village of Suostas, district of Biržai, 6 kilometres from the Lithuanian-Latvian border, at the Biržai-Riga road. Rebuilt 2004 - 2007. A reflection of a dwelling house in its architectural forms. 

http://panevezys.lcn.lt/dekanatai/birzu/suostas/ 

 

 

 

 

Chapels:

ORTHODOX CHURCH OF ST. NIKANDR IN LEBENIŠKIAI
The Orthodox Church of St. Nikandr was built in 1909 using a donation (5,000 roubles) made by a merchant, I. Markovas. Approximately 50 families, which lived in this locality, donated land, and authorities of Tsarist Russia allotted timber. Today, the Orthodox congregation of Lebeniškiai is small.
Village of Lebeniškiai

Chapel of St. Stanislaus at the cemetery of the village of Kupriai (Parish of Vabalninkas)
Built by local people in 1746, the chapel was later rebuilt. 

Chapel of St. James at the cemetery of the village of Anciškiai (Parish of Vabalninkas)
Built by local people in 1789, the chapel was rebuilt in 1846. 

Chapel of St. Helen at the cemetery of the village Deikiškiai (Parish of Vabalninkas)
Built by local people in 1736, the chapel was later rebuilt.

Chapel of St. Anthony at the cemetery of village of Jasiuliškiai (Parish of Vabalninkas)
Built in 1736, the chapel was later rebuilt.

Chapel of St. George at the cemetary of village of Lamokėliai (Parish of Vabalninkas)
Built by local people in 1726, the chapel was rebuilt in 1928.

Chapel of St. Matthew at the cemetery of village of Šukioniai (Parish of Vabalninkas)
Built in 1746, the chapel was later rebuilt. 

Sacred Heart of Jesus Chapel and gate in Diliai
Built in 1777. The wooden folk-style chapel has been restored. In 1809-1912, the poet Antanas Strazdas was a priest of the chapel. 

Chapel of St. Joseph and St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus at the cemetery of the village of Mieleišiai
The chapel was built in 1939-1940 using a donation of Adolfas Sabaliauskas (Žalia Rūta), a canon, poet, and translator. A. Sabaliauskas was buried under the altar of the chapel in 1950.

 

 

 

 

Back